Reply – SharePoint 2013: People Picker is not finding/resolving any users
Your Name
Subject
Message
or Cancel
In Reply To
SharePoint 2013: People Picker is not finding/resolving any users
— by Bhavik Bhavik
When I try to search a user in People Picker it shows below error:

Sorry, we're having trouble reaching the server

I then checked on Central Admin - Manage Web App - User Policy and there I am able to find users. However If i navigate to Site Settings - Site Permissions of Central Admin and search for user I am getting the same error.

So I looked at ULS Logs and below is the error I found:

10/25/2013 10:20:11.84 w3wp.exe (0x2CF0) 0x3190 SharePoint Foundation General 8nca Medium Application error when access /_vti_bin/client.svc, Error=Path '/_vti_bin/client.svc/contextinfo' is forbidden.   at System.Web.HttpForbiddenHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)     at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()     at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) f901509c-96b0-e0d5-9be1-d8a131f15381


I tried to access the /_vti_bin/client.svc on my client as well as server, but I am getting HTTP 403 Forbidden error.

I was even not able to browse the /_vti_bin, but I got that to be working after enabling Directory Browsing for the site in IIS. But still I am getting same error for client.svc.

Took Fiddler Trace while searching for user and even there it gives 403 for client.svc:


POST /_vti_bin/client.svc/ProcessQuery HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Accept-Language: en-us
Referer: http://arosptstapp01/_layouts/15/mngsiteadmin.aspx
x-requestdigest: 0x4F4617B8C0A2DA57915D640B63BEB248B2B772E406D2A487DD64DA1D87441082ED3A56713E04799A7921D352030516FAA10B65DC629682AF5F6247B63047A995,25 Oct 2013 06:10:24 -0000
x-requested-with: XMLHttpRequest
Content-Type: text/xml
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
Host: arosptstapp01
Content-Length: 1340
Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache
Cookie: WSS_FullScreenMode=false; ASP.NET_SessionId=1ny4jdzq1dyliojmqlpbl4ck; FedAuth=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

<Request xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/clientquery/2009" SchemaVersion="15.0.0.0" LibraryVersion="15.0.0.0" ApplicationName="Javascript Library"><Actions><StaticMethod TypeId="{de2db963-8bab-4fb4-8a58-611aebc5254b}" Name="ClientPeoplePickerSearchUser" Id="8"><Parameters><Parameter TypeId="{ac9358c6-e9b1-4514-bf6e-106acbfb19ce}"><Property Name="AllowEmailAddresses" Type="Boolean">false</Property><Property Name="AllowMultipleEntities" Type="Boolean">true</Property><Property Name="AllUrlZones" Type="Boolean">false</Property><Property Name="EnabledClaimProviders" Type="Null" /><Property Name="ForceClaims" Type="Boolean">false</Property><Property Name="MaximumEntitySuggestions" Type="Number">30</Property><Property Name="PrincipalSource" Type="Number">15</Property><Property Name="PrincipalType" Type="Number">5</Property><Property Name="QueryString" Type="String">skm</Property><Property Name="Required" Type="Boolean">true</Property><Property Name="SharePointGroupID" Type="Number">0</Property><Property Name="UrlZone" Type="Number">0</Property><Property Name="UrlZoneSpecified" Type="Boolean">false</Property><Property Name="Web" Type="Null" /><Property Name="WebApplicationID" Type="String">{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}</Property></Parameter></Parameters></StaticMethod></Actions><ObjectPaths /></Request>
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Server: Microsoft-IIS/8.0
X-SharePointHealthScore: 5
X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319
SPRequestGuid: 9306509c-e6f3-e0d5-9be1-d48aab204c22
request-id: 9306509c-e6f3-e0d5-9be1-d48aab204c22
X-FRAME-OPTIONS: SAMEORIGIN
SPRequestDuration: 22
SPIisLatency: 0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices: 15.0.0.4420
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-MS-InvokeApp: 1; RequireReadOnly
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 06:10:38 GMT
Content-Length: 62

Path '/_vti_bin/client.svc/ProcessQuery' is forbidden.

I added Server\Users group to C:\Inetpub\WWWROOT\WSS\Virtual Directory\80\Bin folder with Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read permissions, but still it gives same error. Even looked at ProcMon but I am not seeing any Access Denied errors. For Client.svc location it shows success. So I am not sure if this is a permission issue or something else.